Higher National Diploma in Mining
This course offers you an advanced study of the mining methods, rock mechanics, geology and mine planning. You’ll develop the skills necessary to advance in the mining industry while you work with mining engineers in the exploitation of minerals from underground or open-pit mines, safely and economically. This course will advance your employment opportunities with local and international mining companies. You’ll have the opportunity to study at our Zimbabwe School of Mines, a leader in mining and geosciences education in the SADC region and beyond, the course is run on Block release.
At Zimbabwe School of Mines we produce technically competent, environmental and safety conscious mining technicians who meet mining industry standards and requirements, and provide skills acquisition and development opportunities for the mining personnel. Mining Technicians are hands on practitioners at all stages of a mine project. Before a new site is developed, they assess its viability and assist with planning the mine’s structure. They are responsible for production and development at a mine. Mining Technicians identify and manage resources required to operate at full production at an optimum cost. They are an integral part of the team responsible for mine closure and rehabilitation.
This course meets the education requirements of the HEXCO Higher National Diploma for certification as an underground or open-pit mine supervisor. You will also meet the educational requirements for the National Diploma in Mining.
Students should be able to:
- design both surface and underground operations
- apply scientific, engineering and technological principles and mechanization techniques to the mining operations at the mine.
- evaluate mining, health and safety legislative requirements in mining operations.
- evaluate economic and technical factors which influence the viability of mining projects.
- apply operations research and management techniques in mining operations.
- solve mining problems using mathematical principles.
- demonstrate a critical, logical and objective approach to problem solving at the workplace.
- demonstrate patriotism in various national issues.
- apply entrepreneurship skills.
- Engineering consultant
- Mine manager
- Mining engineer
- Mining company director