Diploma in Metallurgical Assaying
This course involves an in depth investigation of the chemical and physical properties of ores, metallic and non-metallic minerals, alloys from the mining process and allied industries. It also provides an appreciation of the activities of the mineral processing plant. The objective is that upon completion of the course students would have sufficient knowledge to accurately conduct assays of gold, silver and other precious metals and be able to identify and analyse divergent results to ensure improved accuracy. The course aims to develop a Metallurgical Assaying technician with the knowledge, skills and attitudes of Metallurgical Assaying in the Mining and allied industries.
At Zimbabwe School of Mines, metallurgical assaying’s practical applications in engineering and industry are emphasised through field trips to the mines and attachment. The subjects you may touch on include Analytical Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Inorganic Chemistry, Physical Chemistry and Industrial Management among many others.
The Diploma will be awarded to candidates who have successfully completed the course and passed examinations in accordance with the ZSM Regulations.
After completing the course students should be able to:
- Apply scientific principles and analytical procedures in the Metallurgical Laboratories.
- Engage in entrepreneurship activities in Metallurgical assaying.
- Apply computer knowledge in Metallurgical assaying activities;
- Carry out all processes involved from the time raw material is received to the time when the target product is produced.
- Carry out the reduction of most minerals;
- Demonstrate Patriotism;
- Demonstrate a critical, logical and objective approach to problem solving at the work place; and implement health, safety and environment at the work place.
- Demonstrate mine management and accounting principles
Graduates with the Diploma in Metallurgical Assaying can be employed as a Laboratory Technician, Analyst, Assayer, Chief Assayer in:
- Mining houses,
- Chemical laboratories,
- Medical laboratories,
- Pharmaceutical laboratories,
- Environmental Management Agents (EMA) laboratories,
- Zimbabwe National Water Authority (ZINWA) laboratories,
- Entrepreneurial ventures.