Mine Captains Certificate of Competency
- Mine Captains Certificate of Competency
The following is a course structure of Mine Captains Certificate of Competency offered by Zimbabwe School of Mines (ZSM) aimed at developing Mine Captains for Surface and Underground Mining operations. The course will run in two parts Block 1 and Block 2. While most of the learning for the certificate will take place through distance learning, the students will come to Zimbabwe School of Mines for a three week face to face tuition and examination session at the end of each block at the school mines. Suitable accommodation is available on request in Bulawayo.
At the end of the course, the learner should be able to:
- Define and describe physical properties of minerals and use these to identify minerals
- Discuss the criteria for selecting the right explosive for a given situation based on explosive properties versus rock properties and desired fragmentation.
- Describe and explain the selection criteria for surface and underground operations
- Select the best excavation, loading and hauling equipment for use on mining operations.
- Describe the principles of valuing a mineral prospect
- Apply project management techniques in mineral projects
- Discuss methodologies to evaluate the viability and risks associated with mine planning
- Predicting the behavior of a rock under stress
- Apply ventilation principles to effectively ventilate a mine.
- understand the importance of the fundamental principles of health, safety and welfare in the workplace
Course duration is one year (1820 notional hours) of theory. This will be comprised of blended learning that includes face-to-face tuition in the form of block release tailored learning and distance learning.
Three years of relevant mine supervisory experience.
- Mine Captain
- Mine Superintendent
- Mine Manager